21/01/2015

Article review "Why I Just Asked My Students To Put Their Laptops Away"

Should media use be limited or not?

During class I often try to limit myself. I don’t want to miss the important bits of a lecture I can benefit for and I (indirectly) paid for. For me, paying attention is also about paying respect to the expertise of the lecturer. But there is sometimes a moment I need to respond to small questions. I also allow myself to drift off when the lecture(r) is boring or in some other way useless. That is why I think it should be free to choose. There is a condition: a student is not allowed to interfere or hinder the lecture for other students.

Should a teacher be responsible for the content or also on the culture?

Focusing on content is easy. Most of the time, content is freely available on the internet, sometimes even in a curated form. Even if a teacher is not good with content, he or she can use the content from other teachers. Using other peoples content is a widely used solution. In this case, the teacher as a person is not important anymore for content alone. The difference between a teacher and a good teacher is the way the content is delivered. This includes an environment and a culture.

The insight from a research

I read “Laptop multitasking hinders classroom learning for both users and nearby peers”.
While the outcome is not a surprise the strong significant change in results still shocked me. Multitasking is not only distracting the multitasker, but also his peers, that most of the time have no choice in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment